Tuesday 3 July 2012

My interview with talented welterweight prospect Ahmet Patterson


Ringnews24.com: How old were you when you started out boxing and why did you get into it?

Ahmet Patterson: I was 14 when I first started out. I started out at Fitzroy Lodge in south London and then moved to Repton in the last 18 months or so. I left Fitzroy because I was fighting for England and there just wasn’t the sparring I needed down at Fitzroy. I didn’t want to leave but I had to for my own benefit. I just wasn’t getting enough sparring.

Ringnews24.com: How old are you now?

Ahmet Patterson: 24.

Ringnews24.com: Can you tell us about your amateur career?

Ahmet Patterson: As an amateur I fought for England. I fought in some internationals. I won a multi-nations tournament in Cyprus. There were fighters from Cyprus, Cuba, Egypt and a few other countries. I won two national titles as an amateur, the Novices and the NYPCs. I had 67 amateur fights and lost 7.

Ringnews24.com: Did you not think about trying to make the Olympic team?

Ahmet Patterson: Yeah, but you know what, I thought I’m going to turn pro in the future anyway so I thought why not just do it now. Plenty of people told me to turn pro all the time and I always loved watching guys like Ricky Hatton and Floyd Mayweather. It just all made me think I’d rather just take the headgear off, put the small gloves on and turn pro. Everyone said I boxed like a pro anyway even back then. I already knew I was unlikely to get picked because I knew who their favourites were. I mean you could beat some guys at amateur level and know you’re better than them but you still won’t get picked. It’s all very political in boxing.

Ringnews24.com: How have you found the experience of being a boxer so far?

Ahmet Patterson: I’ve really enjoyed it. As an amateur I did a lot of travelling. I boxed in Jamaica and Cyprus, for example. Jamaica wanted me to box for them at the Commonwealth games because I didn’t get picked for England. I beat their best guy but I decided to turn pro instead.

Ringnews24.com: What would you say are the main differences between the pro and amateur ranks?

Ahmet Patterson: Pro is more brutal. I’d say it’s a bit slower and has a bit more thinking involved. In the amateurs you want to make the judges see everything you’re doing in the ring so you need to place yourself correctly in the ring so they can see everything you do. It’s a bit like Fencing in that you want to get in and out quickly and get your shots in. In the pro game though, all you really try to do is hurt your opponent as much as possible in a professional manner.

Ringnews24.com: Have you fought on TV yet?

Ahmet Patterson: Yeah, I made my debut on the undercard of a Liam Walsh fight. He won the Commonwealth title that night. Ringside on Sky Sports also showed highlights of my second fight on their show. It wasn’t long though because I knocked out Wayne Downing in 56 seconds.

Ringnews24.com: How did you find making your pro debut at the fantastic York Hall in Bethnal Green?

Ahmet Patterson: It was great. I boxed there a lot as an amateur and always had a great reception there. I boxed the NYPCs and Novices there and always had good results. I’ve never had a bad night fighting at York Hall. It’s a great venue. I always feel good fighting there.

Ringnews24.com: You’ve fought on cards featuring fighters like Frankie Gavin, John McDermott, Liam Walsh and Curtis Woodhouse. How did it feel featuring on such action-packed cards and did they give you any advice?

Ahmet Patterson: Well, they didn’t really give me any advice. Although Frankie Gavin did tell me as an amateur to keep doing what I’m doing because I’ll go far. He came down to Fitzroy Lodge when I sparred Anthony Ogogo and said that. Then he came down to Peacock gym and still remembered me and said the same thing. That meant a lot to me.

Ringnews24.com: You’re trained by Martin Bowers at the Peacock gym in east London. How has he helped you as a fighter?

Ahmet Patterson: Since I’ve been working with Martin I’ve improved a lot. He’s helped me develop as a fighter like making me do more work on the inside, keeping my arms up tight and using my body weight more. I’m a better all-round fighter now.

Ringnews24.com: How would you describe your style?

Ahmet Patterson: I’d say I’m a box fighter but I can switch as well when needed. But I switch with my hands up. You notice a lot of fighters who switch with their hands down and throw caution to the wind. I’m smarter than that.

Ringnews24.com: Would you say your style has changed since you became a pro?

Ahmet Patterson: I’ve been training with Martin now for a year so I’d say I’ve changed with Martin. I did a year as a pro before I came to Martin but I think I was still fighting quite amateurish back then. Since I started to work with Martin a year ago, I’d say that’s when I became a pro. My style is still similar but I’m just better now.

Ringnews24.com: Who have you sparred so far?

Ahmet Patterson: I’ve sparred everyone. Erick Ochieng, Lee Purdy, John Ryder, Alfie Smith, Larry Ekundayo, Frankie Gavin.

Ringnews24.com: I watched you spar Larry Ekundayo and Alfie Smith who are both top prospects. You were very impressive. Does this sort of quality sparring help you?

Ahmet Patterson: You need to have quality sparring in training and as much as possible. We spar each other very competitively. There’s no point in getting in the ring unprepared. We don’t go easy on each other because we’re in there to help each other out and make sure we’re prepared come fight night.

Ringnews24.com: How has your progress been?

Ahmet Patterson: It’s been really good. I’d say I’ve progressed very rapidly since I’ve been training with Martin. He’s been getting me to spar loads which is great. I love sparring. If I could spar 12 rounds a day I’d be really happy.

Ringnews24.com: You’re fighting the tough Kevin McCauley on July 6th after your original opponent Jay Morris had to pull due to injury. Do you expect this to be your toughest fight to date?

Ahmet Patterson: Yeah, for sure. It’s my first 6 round fight but you know, the more rounds I do the better I feel. I’m looking forward to it.

Ringnews24.com: Have you set yourself any goals for the coming months?

Ahmet Patterson: After my next fight I’m hoping to go straight up to 8 rounds. I’d like to challenge for a Southern Area title by the end of this year but if I can’t get one this year then maybe by the start of next year. Maybe even an English title shot. Then by the end of 2013 or beginning of 2014 I’d like to challenge for a British title shot.

Ringnews24.com: Do you think you’re already good enough to be aiming for titles?

Ahmet Patterson: Yeah, for sure. I don’t want to sound big headed but I believe in myself. I’m aiming high and I think I have the ability to prove myself.

Ringnews24.com: Who is the best welterweight in Britain right now in your opinion?

Ahmet Patterson: I’d say Kell Brook. He’s really good. He knows how to break people down. You can see the difference in class between him and his opponents.

Ringnews24.com: Would you say you’re a top prospect that fans should keep an eye on?

Ahmet Patterson: Yeah, for sure. I’d say I’m one of the top prospects in the country. I’m up there with the best. I’m confident for the future and looking forward to it.

Ringnews24.com: Thanks for talking to us Ahmet and best of luck in the future.

http://www.ringnews24.com/index.php/boxing-news/54031-ring-news-24-chats-to-talented-welterweight-prospect-ahmet-patterson.html#axzz1zJrWDN8H

No comments:

Post a Comment